[Edu-sig] Fwd: The 'Certified' Teacher Myth (long)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Dec 14 20:27:57 CET 2008

I'm forwarding this, enqueued with Math Forum moderators, as it gives
some background perspective of potential utility to edu-sig
subscribers, plus indirectly expresses my gratitude to Stef Mientki
for his promising project.

If you're embroiled in USA "math wars" at all and want to do
background reading on this thread, here's a link:
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=1869138&tstart=0

I'd recommend staying blissfully ignorant of a lot of it though, lest
you get caught up in dinosaur flavors of "should we allow calculators
in math class?" kinds of debates (nothing at all about computer
languages), angry mud slinging that's been going on for decades and
going nowhere (lots of energy sinks, time sucks, not worth your
attention).

You may wonder why I bother to comment then, on Michael's mud-slinging
(appended).  As I mentioned in a follow-up:

"""
I'll fix and upload to edu-sig, in case Math Forum management decides
not to archive publicly -- should go somewhere, world-readable, given
my marketing angle -- Grunch isn't Michael's to spin, at least not all
by himself.  I have my investments to protect.
"""

For those with no idea what "Grunch" means (esoteric!), here's another
Math Forum thread you might find edifying in this regard:

http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=1866451&tstart=0

If you heard my talk at Chicago Pycon last year, or watched it on
YouTube or ShowMeDo, you know that I talk about Fuller a lot -- a part
of my (Quaker brand) futurism.

Kirby