[Edu-sig] ACM Urges Obama to Include CS as Core Component of Science, Math Education

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Fri Dec 26 00:08:23 CET 2008

On Thu, Dec 25, 2008 at 8:38 AM, Daniel Ajoy <da.ajoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Dec 2008 06:00:02 -0500, <edu-sig-request at python.org> wrote:
>
>> From: "Edward Cherlin"
>>
>> 2008/12/23 michel paul :
>>> http://www.acm.org/press-room/news-releases/obama-education
>>>
>>> "Computing education benefits all students, not just those interested in
>>> pursuing computer science or information technology careers," said Bobby
>>> Schnabel, chair of ACM's Education Policy Committee (EPC).
>>
>> Thanks. I'll invite them to join Earth Treasury's digital textbook
>> project for the OLPC XO + Sugar. We have Smalltalk, Python, and FORTH
>> standard on the XO, and we can add anything else of interest. Well,
>> not Ada or C++, but those aren't of interest to third graders.
>>
>> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Creating_textbooks
>

> I don't think FORTH comes with the XO by default. I've the Mexico and Uruguay images and I haven't seen it. What's the name of it's executable?

Open Firmware.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Firmware_q2c27#How_to_get_the_ok_prompt

How to get the ok prompt

Press the ESC key (upper left on the keyboard) during the countdown.

> Smalltalk only comes if Etoys is installed.
>
> What does come is another very nice language, in my opinion. It is
> * typeless
> * interpreted
> * small
> * manages memory automatically
> * does conversions between numbers and strings automatically
> * can connect to the internet
> * can pipe in and out of commands and files.
> * it has hashes, and arrays are just hashes of numbers.
>
> the language is called awk, and the interpreter gawk
>
> now that I think of it, there is another programming language that comes by default: javascript.
>

>> APL is
>> coming. Scheme is pretty easy. What else would you like?
>
> UCBLogo is Scheme without parethesis (and with dynamic scope, instead of lexical scope)
> http://wiki.laptop.org/images/e/e5/Ucblogo-4.xo
>
> The problem is that is it not sugarized yet.

We talked about it in July. Somebody needs to step up to drive it, or
maybe just to get Brian Harvey involved.

There is also an extension being developed for TurtleArt to let it
save in UCBLogo file format.

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Logo discusses the options
http://n2.nabble.com/Sugar-Labs,-LOGO-and-Brian-Harvey-td474434.html (July 2008)
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/iaep/2008-December/003393.html

> and the LogoFE library for Logo makes is very much like APL. LogoFE is already in Spanish the language spoken in Uruguay, Colombia and Perú, where the XO has had deployments.

Excellent. We must see about an English translation.

> Daniel

And Children are my nation.