[Edu-sig] graphics on mac

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 18:16:09 CET 2008

> Note that I probably can't download anything that is not already installed
> on the Macs, because these are in the school computer lab, and I am a parent
> volunteer with no admin privileges.
> Thanks!
> Felicia
>
> Felicia B. Gershberg, M.A.T., Ph.D., m.o.m.

Not a Mac expert here (far from it), but just wanted to comment how
many schools I've encountered where the approach is to deliberately
dumb down the expensive capabilities of their systems, as a substitute
for paying a real sysop to do it right.

One of my gigs awhile back was for a local police department that,
to its credit, noticed it was mainly scaring kids about cyberspace,
whereas this was also likely their future i.e. if this were no fun, what
was to keep 'em from giving up and joining gangs?

So how do the pros do it, i.e. show 'em the ropes, make 'em feel
at home, as if this were all theirs to inherit someday.

In their worst nightmares, we'd be teaching 'em how to packet sniff
with Ethereal in like the first lesson, explaining about Squid, firewalls,
routers, all the rest of it -- which is exactly what we did.  But George
was way cool about it (exFBI).  We let him sit in.

But that's not how it works in your normal school, with teachers
paralyzed with fear (Python!  egads!), and never doing anything much
about it as the years fly by, another batch of know-nothings graduated.

Oh well, too bad for them.  Not my problem.