[Edu-sig] IDLE fonts

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Jul 14 18:44:16 CEST 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 4:59 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

> Before I show off what I consider to be a fun and useful IDLE font,
> suitable for future classes, I'd like to poll other subscribers as to
> whether they do anything unusual in the fonts department, either for
> the benefit of new students, or for themselves.
>
> I'll follow up on Monday.
>
> Kirby

OK, so here it is Monday, and my font of choice for future classes,
for projecting especially, is Akbar font, patterned after the
handwriting of Matt Goening.

However, I should make sense of this by reminding folks of my
audience:  future cartoonists in ToonTown (PDX), learning about
animation pipelines, real time and render time, and MVC thinking.

We mostly focus on the relevant mathematics such as how does when
beget rotation among a nest of vectors, but instead of silly
hamster-brained calculators (such as those from Texas Instruments) we
use real computers running Python (such as those from
Hewlett-Packard).

Given Groening is the creator of The Simpsons, that our original Homer
was from Silverton, that we're a Town into toon making (ala O'Reilly's
Make: magazine), it makes sense to dabble in such a locally idiomatic
font.  As a gnu math teacher, I work in a "virtual gulag" of geek
schools, spread around internationally, sharing lesson planning ideas
with my peers in South Africa (or wherever).  So feel free to ignore,
as you may not have any interest in our peculiar curriculum network
(not for everyone!).

See you at OSCON some of you, if my sponsorship comes through,
business deal through Chicago, high level, we shall see...

Kirby

Related reading:
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2008/07/idle-language-games.html (about
this font I'm enjoying)