[Edu-sig] Suggestion for python learning

Ian Ozsvald ian at showmedo.com
Tue Jul 15 20:18:58 CEST 2008

Hi Kirby, thanks for the clarification.

As discussed in email, I still have no idea what happened on that day - I didn't find any bugs in our code and we'd never hide submitted videos behind a PayPal wall, that'd be unthinkable.  Whatever happened, it appeared to be transitory and couldn't be reproduced, as we discussed in May.

Just for the record - we consider it a privilege to host freely submitted screencasts.  We make them freely available (always have done, always will do), we don't add adverts to the pages nor do we profit/resell them - they're entirely free so that others can get them easily.  As Kirby says we host at a much higher resolution and screensize than YouTube.  You're also free to embed any of the free videos into your own sites.

Everything that comes in is checked so that no rubbish gets published (we're anti-YouTube in that respect), we're very proud of the collection that has grown over the last few years.

There are over 300 Python videos (http://showmedo.com/videos/python), we're getting to the point where there is something of interest for most people.  We welcome submissions, just get in contact if you'd like a hand with tools or techniques.

We would love to see more screencasts on using Python for education, experimentation is welcome.  One of our authors (Horst Jens) has his school-kids make videos (you see them on the webcam) with Python as a part of their lessons:
http://showmedo.com/videos/?author=71

Cheers,
Ian (co-founder of ShowMeDo)