[Edu-sig] Follow up to a previous post : "Suggestion for python learning"

deepu john dj9027 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 07:21:01 CEST 2008

>>> from    dj9027 <dj9027 at gmail.com
>>> to   Python 411  <rdsteph at mac.com
>>> date    Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 11:19 AM
>>> subject    Thanks for the podcasts on python
>>> mailed-by    gmail.com
>>> Its my favourite mp3's to listen to when "using the treadmill". Can't think of anything else that would make the time spent on the treadmill more productive.
>>> Listening to the podcasts and focussing on the subject really takes my mind off the monotonous "workflow" on the treadmill.
>>> Wished I could get an entire python book for noobies in an audiobook format !!
>>> Thanks again for your informative podcasts.
>>> Regards
>>> John Deepu
>>>
>>>from	dj9027 <dj9027 at gmail.com
>>>to	guido at python.org
>>>date	Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 5:23 PM
>>>subject	executable pseudocode
>>>mailed-by	gmail.com
>>>
>>>Hello,
>>>And I sincerely do not know where else to suggest this idea.
>>>Unfortunately, I don't have many techie friends who are well versed in python to ask this question.
>>>Had it suggested to some podcasters earlier this week.
>>>Not sure how well the idea was taken.. Rather than waiting for the idea to percolate through people, thought I would send it to the top level to get a quick result.
>>>
>>>Since python is "Executable Pseudocode", why not have an audio book that discusses or teaches python to newbies.
>>>

>>>Best regards,
>>>:Dj
>>>
>>from	Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>
>>>to	dj9027 <dj9027 at gmail.com>
>>>date	Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 7:02 PM
>>>subject	Re: executable pseudocode
>>>mailed-by	gmail.com
>>>
>>>Hi DJ,
>>>
>>>Thanks for writing. I suggest you post the suggestion to
>>>edu-sig at python.org. They'll also be interested in helping you with
>>>other questions.
>>>

>>> Guido

Beware of the quotes, those words WERE MINE.

Dave,
The edu-sig digests I got did not have your questions on them.

>>>David MacQuigg wrote:
>>>Can you really learn Python this way?  Try writing some code after listening to a verbal explanation only.

I was talking about non-computer, non-techie, non-whiz guys and girls
here. We dont spend the whole day at work infront of a computer like
my techie friends do.
Wished I could also, so I can visualize, think and try programming all
at the same time.
That said IT IS difficult to visualize programming concepts when
sitting infront of a computer the few hours we get from our regular
day at work.

To your question, I really find it easier to think about programming
and its applications when I listen to podcasts like python 411.
Seeing if my thoughts work will be when I get time to sit infront of
the computer do the "Code".
I feel that audio discussions take away the deciphering part of the
"Coding" process.

:Deepu