[Edu-sig] web2py 1.38

Atul Varma varmaa at gmail.com
Sat Jul 19 19:49:50 CEST 2008

2008/7/19 Tony Theodore <tonyt at logyst.com>:

> In my mind, web2py sums it up pretty well - Web 2.0 in Python. MVC, ajax,
> trivial deployment (even back to cgi on GAE), all "web2ish" attributes. It
> might interest you that it was initially called Gluon.

That's really interesting, because over the past year or so of reading about
web2py, I had always assumed that it meant "web-to-python", in the style of
command-line tools like "rst2html" (which converts restructured text to
html); this was also confusing, because it seemed like "py2web" would be
more appropriate.

Looking at the website now, I see no mention of the phrase "web 2.0", so
perhaps the marketing materials may want to make the connection more
evident.

- Atul