[Edu-sig] introduction

Anna Ravenscroft annaraven at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 21:08:44 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Richard Enbody <enbody at cse.msu.edu> wrote:
> Greetings.
>
>  I'm a professor in Computer Science and Engineering at Michigan State
>  University, and we started using Python last fall (2007) in our first
>  programming course for majors (CS and CpE), i.e. a 'CS1' course.
>  However, more than half the students are non-majors. The URL is
>  http://www.cse.msu.edu/~cse231

The syllabus looks interesting.  I notice your emphasis on not
allowing others to "look at" a student's solution. Given that most
coding these days involves teamwork, pair programming, or at least,
code reviews, are you considering any pair-programming or small team
projects in future iterations of the class? I believe some
universities have moved toward incorporating some team or partner
projects to help overcome the "loner" stereotype of programmers, and
draw more women and other populations to the major.

>  I'm looking forward to interacting with you all (and I'm embarrassed
>  that it took me so long to find this list).

Welcome!  Perhaps we'll meet you at PyCon next year? (It'll be in
Chicago again next spring.)

--
cordially,
Anna