[Edu-sig] introduction

Anna Ravenscroft annaraven at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 21:08:44 CET 2008

On Thu, Mar 20, 2008 at 8:31 AM, Richard Enbody <enbody at cse.msu.edu> wrote:
> Greetings.
>  I'm a professor in Computer Science and Engineering at Michigan State
>  University, and we started using Python last fall (2007) in our first
>  programming course for majors (CS and CpE), i.e. a 'CS1' course.
>  However, more than half the students are non-majors. The URL is
>  http://www.cse.msu.edu/~cse231

The syllabus looks interesting.  I notice your emphasis on not
allowing others to "look at" a student's solution. Given that most
coding these days involves teamwork, pair programming, or at least,
code reviews, are you considering any pair-programming or small team
projects in future iterations of the class? I believe some
universities have moved toward incorporating some team or partner
projects to help overcome the "loner" stereotype of programmers, and
draw more women and other populations to the major.

>  I'm looking forward to interacting with you all (and I'm embarrassed
>  that it took me so long to find this list).

Welcome!  Perhaps we'll meet you at PyCon next year? (It'll be in
Chicago again next spring.)

Walking through the water. Trying to get across.
Just like everybody else.