[Edu-sig] Crunchy Suggestions wanted for Google Summer of Code

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 01:36:15 CET 2008

Hi everyone,

The recent increase in activity in this group is nice - especially as
it seems that Python is being used in an increasing number of
educational institutions.

I have enjoyed reading the (too few) reports about Pycon 2008.
Unfortunately, I have been unable to attend.  From the reports I read
elsewhere, I gather that Johannes Woolard managed to interest a few
more people in Crunchy; he was only one of two people (the other being
Guido van Rossum) interviewed by Dr. Dobb's Journal
(http://dobbscodetalk.com/index.php?option=com_myblog&show=Johannes-Woolard-On-Crunchy.html&Itemid=29).
 So, for those that have seen his talk, or talked to him, I was
wondering if you have any suggestions to make for improvement to
Crunchy during the upcoming Google Summer of Code.

I have already been contacted by a few students already interested in
doing a Crunchy-related project.  Some project ideas can be found at:
http://code.google.com/p/crunchy/wiki/SummerOfCodeIdeas

Among them, is the following (based on an old suggestion by Jeff Elkner):
===
Create a collection of doctest-based problems for simple (and not so
simple) Python exercises for list, strings, dicts, math functions,
etc. The beginning of a collection can be found at
http://code.google.com/p/doctests/source/browse; this is the list
referred to at http://wiki.python.org/moin/ProblemSets/99_Prolog_Problems_Solutions
for problems 1 to 6.
===

There are only  a few days left before students start uploading their
project ideas.  So now is the time to make suggestions so that you can
use Crunchy effectively next September ;-)

André