[Edu-sig] Introducing Python to Engineering Students

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Fri Mar 21 03:09:29 CET 2008

At 01:41 AM 3/20/2008 +0100, Stef Mientki wrote:

>I started about a year ago with the Enthought edition
>http://code.enthought.com/enthon/

This leads to a series of deprecated links, some several months old, and no clear guidance as to what a student should install.  This website is a mess!!

I've been hearing good things about eggs, so I'm a little surprised at this.  Having a manager for Python packages seems like a good idea, but I would rather use the standard egg installer from http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EasyInstall, not an "enstaller" hacked for installing one vendor's products.  That could lead to conflicts later, as I add eggs from different sources.

>I think if you send this message to the Scipy list,
>you get an answer of Robert Kern himself within half an hour (if he is
>awake ;-)

What I'm looking for is not help with the current mess, but confidence that students won't have to go through the same thing.  I've now run out of time, so I'll have to try again in a few months.

-- Dave