[Edu-sig] True or False? - A translation is a function.

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Nov 28 20:30:21 CET 2008

My preferred way of talking about translation is in conjunction with
rotation and scaling, as like the three major things we might do with
shapes that are angle-preserving (not just surface angles, but also
central angles).

My Python polyhedron class will implement these (rotation, translation
and scaling) as three primitive functions, with subclasses holding the
data for actual polyhedra, following the design pattern of "abstract
class" hold the "meta methods" common to all polys.

But what's a Polyhedron then?  By this time we have a primitive Vector
concept, except I keep those originating from the origin i.e. (0,0,0)
in 3D XYZ.  My Edge class is the generic "between any two points" line
segment concept, and so Polyhedra tend to be encoded as faces (going
clockwise or counter, as seen from without), from which Edges are
distilled, each defined by a pair of Vectors (using whatever
addressing scheme).

That's all one curriculum segment, whereas another would be the
standard trignonmetric  A*cos(B*x) + C, other trig functions
substituting for cos.  This goes with the Fourier piece, talked about
in this archive quite a bit in the early days, what with our 'Who is
Fourier?' by LEX Institute & company.

I really dislike all the focus on parabolas minus any attention to
"dish" as a concept.  The reason that's called a "focus" is because
you can get your heat vectors or radio vectors all concentrating to
that point, lots of calcs as to what's a useful threshold, below which
we don't meet the relevance test.

Modern K-12 mathematics textbooks barely hint at the engineering
aspects, being completely watered down to keep out any "impurities" (
= healthy proteins).

Most people mired in the current math tracks rarely get outdoors, have
no concept of tool use, can't do anything practical with those skills
they get tested on.  We waste zero energy apologizing for such
nonsense, assure parents and students alike that we're not that poor
quality, would never retreat to that level, having experienced the
disaserterous consequences of overspecialization first hand.

Kirby