[Edu-sig] Webster Van Robot

Andre Roberge andre.roberge at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 18:09:40 CEST 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 11:29 AM, <ajudkis at verizon.net> wrote:

> Steve,
>
> Neat idea, nice implementation!
> I want to call everyone's attention to RUR-PLE, another  Karel successor
> that the students control with actual Python.  I've used it quite
> successfully for 3 or 4 years now, it provides a great wading pool for
> trying out the basic concepts, and they get exposed to the real syntax from
> the first day.
>
> Check it out at http://rur-ple.sourceforge.net/.
>
> And Andre, if you're reading this, my students still have a soft spot for
> Reeborg, some of them were talking about him just yesterday.

:-)

Yes, I am still reading this. :-)

While rur-ple is very usable in its current state (1.0 release candidate 3),
there are still a few things left to clean up for the final 1.0 release.
"Unfortunately", I have not had the energy to spend any time on it for well
over a year.  I put "unfortunately" in quotation marks the lack of time
spent on rur-ple has been caused in large parts by working on Crunchy.  And
"one of these days", Crunchy will support an embedded world for Reeborg to
move in.    Perhaps it will make use of Steve's Webster...

Cheers,

André