[Edu-sig] Do we "teach computers" when we write code?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 7 02:22:00 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 3:05 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm wondering what others on this list think of this non-standard use
> of "teaching" when talking about programming a computer.
>
> The authors say we're "teaching" the computer....

I have a very simple take on this. It is an imperfect analogy, but it
works in some situations. Children learn concepts much better by
programming them than by repeated practice. (Practice should be for
skills, like music or sports.) So, although it is not the same as
teaching a person, we can help people to understand what we are
talking about by judicious use of the analogy.

If you want to know where I got this, I can cite Skill in Means in
Buddhist teaching, or:

In the original Pragmatic philosophy, as set forth by Peirce and
William James, meaning is not an attribute of a word, but of the
context, in particular of the intentions of the persons concerned. Do
we travel around the world every day with the Earth's rotation?  It
depends how you define "travel". Relative to the Earth's surface, in a
rotating coordinate system, we don't move. If we insist that motion
can only be defined in Galilean or Special Relativistic invariant
coordinate systems, where rotation is disallowed, then we move.
General Relativity has its own issues.

If I see a squirrel on a tree, and I go around the tree, with the
squirrel staying out of sight opposite me, do I go around the
squirrel, which has kept the same side toward me the whole time?
(Example from William James)

Am I teaching when I write a textbook? I'm certainly trying to, but
you can say that the teaching or learning doesn't begin until a
student reads it (if then).

Am I teaching when I present examples to a Bayesian spam filter or an
AI? Depends. Dunnit?

"The question whether a computer can think is of no more interest than
whether a submarine can swim."--Edsger Dijkstra.

And Children are my nation.
http://earthtreasury.net/ (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)