[Edu-sig] Mail features (was Re: Fwd: Do we "teach computers" when we write code?)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 00:37:02 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> In a message of Tue, 07 Apr 2009 11:09:36 PDT, Edward Cherlin writes:
>>There is a long-running rwar between those who think that mailing
>>lists should have a reply-to set to the mailing list address, and
>>those who think that replies should go to the previous sender by
>>default. Is it worse that mistakes result in private replies going to
>>the list (big-endian) or list replies going to an individual
>>(little-endian)?
>
> Much worse when private replies go to a list.

I'm not going to argue with you, but I know others who would. :(

>>You still have to be able to remember what you are
>>doing. What _I_ want is a menu item clearly labeled "Reply to List".
>
> Many mailers have one of these.  Writing one is not hard, what mailer
> are you using, and is the source available?

Gmail. No, source is not available. They do accept feature requests at

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=suggestions.cs

Once in a while I see that some feature I wanted made it in.

> Laura

Of course the mail software can't help you remember when to change the
subject line.
And Children are my nation.