[Edu-sig] Mail features (was Re: Fwd: Do we "teach computers" when we write code?)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 00:51:08 CEST 2009

On Tue, Apr 7, 2009 at 3:43 PM, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Gmail. No, source is not available. They do accept feature requests at
>>
>> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/static.py?page=suggestions.cs
>>
>> Once in a while I see that some feature I wanted made it in.
>>
>>> Laura
>>
>> Of course the mail software can't help you remember when to change the
>> subject line.
>
> How would Reply to List differ from Reply to All, which gmail has?

Reply to All, which I used on this message, puts you in as primary
recipient, and the list as cc:. I _could_ delete you, and move the
list address to To:, but I usually don't feel like taking the trouble.
This time I left it deliberately.

> Seems like you'd have to be able to pick out a list from all the
> others, which means persisting a list of lists, which may be more
> trouble than it's worth?

You mean if the message is crossposted to multiple lists? Well then, I
just use Reply to All.

> I think just posting to the list is often sufficient, so if others
> reply, it goes to the list also.  No need to CC anyone you already
> know is on the list maybe?

Yes, that's what I'm asking Google to let us do.

> Anyway, this gets in the realm of "to each her own" i.e. not my place
> to micromanage the habits of others, just giving a few cents worth.
>
> Kirby
>
>> --
>> Silent Thunder (默雷/धर्ममेघशब्दगर्ज/دھرممیگھشبدگر ج) is my name
>> And Children are my nation.
>> The Cosmos is my dwelling place, The Truth my destination.
>> http://earthtreasury.org/worknet (Edward Mokurai Cherlin)

And Children are my nation.