[Edu-sig] Python in education - looking forward

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Thu Apr 9 19:46:11 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

As Kirby mentioned a couple of days ago (sorry about the late
follow-up), he and I have been kicking around some ideas with Steve
Holden. In his PyCon talk as the head of the PSF, Steve mentioned that
he felt outreach to the education community was key for Python's
long-term development, and he is willing put the support of the PSF
(monetary and otherwise) behind the idea.

So this past week we talked over the need to carry forward the momentum
we always feel after meeting at PyCon, as well as the need to break down
the isolation that some of feel, and include those who can't make it to
PyCon.

Steve's idea was to have a poster session at PyCon to spotlight Python
in Education over the previous year, and I agreed to do what I could to
move this forward. As we thought about it, we saw it being a display
area at PyCon where we could share success stories, whether they were
posters, slide shows, software demos, whatever. Submissions would be
invited (and welcomed) whether the submitter could actually attend PyCon
or not.

To my mind this has several benefits: first, all of us can keep this
venue in the back of our minds as we go about what we do, and save the
best bits for sharing with the whole Python community; secondly, having
those success stories and projects before the whole community would
raise the profile of education and probably gain us not only support,
but helpers with good ideas; finally, the dialog that emerges could help
guide the PSF as it considers supporting and encouraging projects
relating to education.

We might also submit a "The Year in Python Education" summary talk for
presentation in the regular PyCon program as a way to tie things
together, in addition to encouraging PyCon talks and lightning talks.

So if you've made it this far (sorry for the length of this) I'd be
interested any reactions before I start pestering the python-org list
about it.

Any thoughts? Any support? Any questions? Any objections?

Cheers,
Vern

--
This time for sure!