[Edu-sig] PSF Grant

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Fri Apr 17 21:42:39 CEST 2009

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to report that Steve Holden and the PSF have made good on
their pledge to support outreach to education in a very concrete and
generous way. The PSF has voted to give me a grant of $500 to help cover
my travel to the National Educational Computing Conference this June to
give a presentation on Python in the K12 curriculum (with Jeff Elkner,
if the stars align just right).

I've been traveling to NECC to make this pitch to teachers from across
the country for the past 3 years, so getting a little outside funding is
a welcome relief to my headmaster and definite boon to my travel budget.

My sincere thanks to Steve and the PSF for their support and especially
to those (like Kirby) who spoke up on my behalf.

I think the message that Steve wants to get out is that the PSF is
willing to devote some resources to furthering the connection between
Python and the education world, but they need us to come forward with
the projects. In connection with our proposed PyCon presence I'd really
like to start building both a list of our various efforts to spread the
word about Python in education and a tradition of announcing all of
those efforts, possibly on this forum.

Cheers,
Vern
--