[Edu-sig] How do kids these days get started in programming?

Maria Droujkova droujkova at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 17:21:31 CEST 2009

On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 10:46 AM, Daniel Ajoy <da.ajoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do kids these days get started in programming?
> http://www.ensode.net/roller/dheffelfinger/entry/how_do_kids_these_days
>
> Many experiences there mention that now kids start programming by playing with their calculators. Others speculate that kids start programming by inspecting HTML and javascript.
>
> Daniel

I find the comments of the "Linux is easy to start" variety to be
quite funny. For kids, easy=normal=common. Chinese or Russian are
considered very hard/difficult/complex languages among all other
languages, and yet native kids learn them as easily as natives of any
other culture learn their language. Anything is easy if enough people
around you practice it daily.

That's why I am looking for kid-friendly AND large communities of
practice first and foremost for any educational endeavors...

--
Cheers,
MariaD

Make math your own, to make your own math.

http://www.naturalmath.com social math site
http://www.phenixsolutions.com empowering our innovations