[Edu-sig] What Linux distro?

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 10:05:06 CEST 2009

On Sat, Apr 11, 2009 at 12:35 PM, Fahreddın Basegmez
<mangabasi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have been developing a programmable scientific visualization
> tool/rapid game maker with wxPython for a while.  I recently released
> the first public beta version that works on windows only.  Now, I am
> going to start working on a Linux version very soon.  I have not
> decided which distro to use yet but leaning towards Ubuntu.  Could you
> give me some feedback?  What is the most popular distro in educational
> institutes/settings?

It is not at all a choice of just one distribution. We all want what
you are doing, and we cooperate to make it available everywhere.
Packagers for many distributions will take hold of anything that
becomes available from a suitable upstream source. I am copying this
to Jonas Smedagaard, a Debian packager who can give you better advice
than I can on getting started. Anything in a Debian package is likely
to flow through to Ubuntu, Edubuntu, and other distributions fairly
rapidly.

You can also get help putting your software into Red Hat Fedora, and
from there into another whole stream of distributions. I am copying
this to Greg DeKoenigsberg, a Red Hat community organizer, who can
help you make the right contacts there.

Those two will get your software launched in all of the most popular
distributions, including several education-specific distributions, and
numerous language-specific distributions around the world. If you
would like to follow up on that, you can contact the localization
groups for Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu.

Lastly, I would suggest getting your software into Sugar for the One
Laptop Per Child XO and other systems. You should join the Sugar
Development mailing list at http://lists.sugarlabs.org for that.
Again, Sugar software feeds to Fedora, Debian, and so on from there,
and Sugar is being localized into something like 80 languages. Sugar
has well over a million education users, with many more on the way.

> You can download the application from www.mekanimo.net.
>
> Also I have a 5 min video at
> http://mekanimomedia.s3.amazonaws.com/tangram/Tangram.html
>
> If you try the application, I would appreciate your feedback about that too.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Fahri Basegmez

And Children are my nation.