[Edu-sig] another edu-sig page textbook (suggesting to AR)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 08:54:15 CEST 2009

Another thought is maybe edu-sig page is an appropriate place to
provide contact info for Vern Ceder.  The thought there is to have
someone to help coordinate a more academically flavored poster space
wherein we showcase interesting applications of Python where the
sponsor (helping pay for hotel floorspace) might not be a private
company booth exhibitor but a university or NGO or publisher or
whatever.

User groups might have their own contests why not?

I'm not saying the edu-sig page should get into all this, as it aims
to stay brief and uncluttered, just thinking we need some way to
suggest the "science fair" aspect of future Pycons (the idea
originates with Steve Holden in response to BOF-expressed desires to
get teachers more involved, Pycon having a predominantly business
flavor, with Jeff Rush going so far as to suggest a whole separate
EduPycon, which idea I've continued to float, as worthy of
consideration, including in edu-sig threads why not?

These slides from some random GIS conference in Oregon, where I talked
about Python (familiar through ESRI), show what a conference is like
when split between private companies and academia, I'm sure a familiar
site to most of you already, just not quite what Pycon has been like
(which is where Vern comes in):

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/04/gis-2009.html

Somewhat unrelated, I'd welcome any comments on my What is a Scripting
Language? answer, something I might point to in a kind of FAQ mode
(emailed question about Python being "a scripting language").

BTW I'm glad the edu-sig page still points to Software Carpentry under
Miscellaneous (where we also link to my stuff) as I think we're also a
gateway for system administrator types who choose a non-CS degree path
(similar to the math track people we're tagging with the aforesaid
title mentioned below).

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2009/04/whats-scripting-language.html

CP4E and/or P4E never meant turning everyone into CS majors right?  We
should make sure that the "education" in edu-sig is far broader than
CS departments reaching out, advertising they teach in that language
(among others), although they're welcome to do that of course (we
welcome "converts" or whatever).

Kirby