[Edu-sig] PythonTurtle

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 08:45:19 CEST 2009

On Mon, Aug 3, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Daniel Ajoy<da.ajoy at gmail.com> wrote:
> PythonTurtle
>
>    A learning environment for Python suitable for beginners and children, inspired by Logo.
>

> PythonTurtle strives to provide the lowest-threshold way to learn Python. Students command an interactive Python shell (similar to the IDLE development environment) and use Python functions to move a turtle displayed on the screen. An illustrated help screen introduces the student to the basics of Python programming while demonstrating how to move the turtle.
>
> http://pythonturtle.com/

I think that Walter Bender's Turtle Art has an even lower threshold.
You can snap together blocks representing turtle commands, and then
use one of the Python-programmable blocks to add a single Python
expression or call a Python program from a file. I have, for example,
a graphing session in which a fixed TA program draws the coordinate
axes, and then graphs whatever function the user has inserted in the
programmable block.

We have such environments in Sugar for Python, Logo, and Smalltalk.

Your environment looks ideal for the next step up. Would you like to
get together on some lessons in math, programming, and Computer
Science?
And Children are my nation.