[Edu-sig] some notes...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Aug 25 04:35:01 CEST 2009

Some of what's going on in my neck of the woods:

<cut_and_paste>

Python:  الثعبان

__rib__

==

__ضلع__

</cut_and_paste>

I'm finding most editors incapable of mixing left and right facing scripts.

CS Unplugged out of New Zealand is good for when either computers are
unavailable -- or they don't yet have the capabilities we need.

Apologies to those not getting the right Unicode glyphs in this font.

Fortunately, we have @brampitoyo to help with these issues.

More on PSF list about Dr. Tag and plans for new user groups willing
to tackle not-Latin-1 features of Python 3.x.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/17157315@N00/3844392134/

Obviously OLPC has done work in this area, also Plone, wxPython...

I forget if I shared the Arabic version of edu-sig home page -- a
first approximation only.

More threads on diversity at python.org (some overlap in subscriber membership).

Recent excerpt from email to Dr. Tag from me i.e. I am the author of
the analysis below:

<analysis>

I'm suspicious of the author's conclusion:  "By and large, the issue
about diversity seems to be one of not offending and upsetting
people."  This hearkens back to your observation that "westernized"
means "unable to speak the truth" (in contrast to a Yemeni, not trying
to impress anyone, being direct).  North Americans used to have a
reputation for directness.  Is that being lost?

In cultivating diplomatic skills, we're not wanting to train people to
simply mask their true feelings.  Improving communications skills
doesn't mean getting better at hiding biases.  This would be a lesson
for open source developers:  we treasure clarity over being nice to
the point of obscure (inscrutability) -- because what's repressed has
a way of surfacing elsewhere more uncontrolled than ever, including in
outright violence.

</analysis>

Also relevant:

http://www.fsf.org/news/summit-on-women-in-free-software

Looking forward to DjangoConf starting soon (here in FOSS capital).

I sent TV clip idea for teaching OO to people interested in Python.TV

Good exchange with Selena (OS Bridge co-chair) re Portland's "FOSS
witch... FOSS coven" terminology (labeled as FUD by know-nothings).

Been sharing some Python lore with Wittgenstein fans (obscure,
esoteric philosopher of 1900s vintage).