[Edu-sig] Significant drop in CS interest in high schools

Helene Martin lognaturel at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 03:12:55 CEST 2009

I don't think members of the K-12 CS education community were entirely
comfortable with the way the article you quote interpreted the
research or even the research itself.  For example, the survey is of
self-identified CS teachers rather than of schools.  Mark Guzdial had
a good post on the subject with a response by Alan Kay:
http://computinged.wordpress.com/2009/08/10/questioning-the-report-that-high-school-cs-is-declining/

I'll be starting a CS program in a Seattle school in a couple of
weeks.  I continue to be amazed at how little programming/computer
science/technology is available to students in the district.  After
all, we have Amazon, Microsoft, Google, etc at our doorstep.  But
administrators don't understand what programming is, knowledgeable
teachers are hard to retain, curriculum is pretty spotty and students
are scared of being labeled as nerds.   And then as Kirby mentions,
there are a million and a half bureaucratic hurdle to go through.
Restrictive graduation requirements is a good example, teacher
certification is another.

If anyone is interested in taking a look and maybe providing feedback,
two of my courses -- Exploring Computer Science and Creative Computing
-- will use Python quite a bit.  Right now http://garfieldcs.com/ only
has marketing materials but I'll be posting assignments, etc as the
school year starts.

A number of us K-12 computer science instructors have been trying to
put together a social network (http://csteachers.ning.com/) that
hopefully will one day be taken over by CSTA.  The idea is to get
teachers talking about policy issues affecting them, share curriculum
resources and just be aware of who is out there interested in K-12
CS/programming education.  There's already a vibrant AP CS
mailing-list-based community but there isn't such a thing for those of
us teaching Python or other languages/tools/courses.  It would be
wonderful to get some Python experts involved and starting some
conversation.  Please join us!

Best,

Hélène.