[Edu-sig] teaching python using turtle module

Daniel Ajoy da.ajoy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 16:11:30 CET 2009

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 06:00:01 -0500, <edu-sig-request at python.org> wrote:

>> After a bit of playing, I realized that I couldn't think of many
>> examples which use turtle with conditional structures (if- and while-
>> statements), or functions that return values

Many of these need the values of trigonometric functions to determine sides or angles.

http://neoparaiso.com/logo/ejercicios-de-geometria.html

take for example construction 24.

(always start at the orange dot)

I imagine you could draw 39, using a single loop and the "mod" function, or is it the "mod" operator in Python...

Of course, construction 22 requires the use of the output of the SQRT function.

About IF:

When drawing star polygons, like 65,66,67,68 it is not intuitive how many sides a polygon is going to have based on the angle of rotation at the tips. You can use IF at the end of every side to check to see IF you are at (0,0) again.

* Solving trig problems with "colorunder":

http://mia.openworldlearning.org/ideas/sby.htm

* Simulation of Train problems:

http://mia.openworldlearning.org/ideas/asw.htm

Daniel