[Edu-sig] another PyToon!

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 9 07:52:25 CET 2009

2009/2/8 michel paul <mpaul213 at gmail.com>:
> http://www.xtranormal.com/xtranormal/episode.php?aid=87487&mid=2009020814392471
>
> Yeah, definitely clunky, but fun to play with.

Yeah, my friend David Koski, a geometer, thinks this icons-to-movie
scripting might be the start of something big, like these are first
glimmers of something far more sophisticated.

On the other hand, The Sims have been icon scriptable for some time
and with clever editing are turned into music video puppets:
http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2009/01/playing-with-dolls.html (Koski
reads my blogs, so he and his young daughter, younger than mine,
enjoyed watching these).

My 14 year old pointed me to this pair:  a live action music video,
followed by the Sims version.  Here's her email:

"""
Ok here is one that is from a song called "My Immortal" by
Evanescence. Its a very pretty song, but very sad. I think that this
is a pretty good video for it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzOozzPg16E

This one is not as good, but its also by Evanescence. She is one of
the only artists with fans who make really good sim videos. Kelly
Clarkson is OK but her songs are sometimes much less interesesting.
ANYWAY, here is the sim version and the real one for "Everybody's
Fool":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u55fpsbzAfk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bK6_Q1UmUGI&feature=related

So those are two I really like, at least from that particular artist.
Let me know if you want me to look up any more for you.
"""

> This toon is an accurate summary of many frustrating dialogs.
>
> - Michel

Something of a breakthrough when one of my XX-friends, a teacher of
health education, had an initially negative reaction i.e. this
"everything is an object" mindset is precisely what's wrong with
engineers, makes them cold and uncaring, because the "objectify
everything." I think she now better understands my position, which I
blogged about, quoting from, and citing, an earlier post to edu-sig:
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/02/regarding-objectifying.html