[Edu-sig] Python 2.6.1 build problems

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Fri Jan 9 00:26:39 CET 2009

To get a full build of Python 2.6 ( or Python 3, for that matter) you
need to install the following packages:

libsqlite3-dev libreadline5-dev libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev libbz2-dev
libssl-dev libgdbm-dev tk-dev

This will give you a working IDLE...

Cheers,
Vern

Arana Fireheart wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to build Python 2.6.1 (upgrade) on Ubuntu 8.10
> in preparation for a class next week. When I try to build it from the
> source files I run into two problems.
>
> 1. The first (resolved) was:
> Failed to find the necessary bits to build these modules:  bsddb185
>  sunaudiodev
> I was able to reslove this by using a patch
> "python2.6-disable-old-modules.patch"
>

> 2. The second and currently un-resolvable issue is that the build fails
> to link in tkinter. I can't quite figure this one out, since I thought
> that this was part of Python.
>
> *** WARNING: renaming "_tkinter" since importing it failed: libtk8.5.so.0:
>
> Failed to build these modules:
> _tkinter
>
> running build_scripts
> arana at arana-linux:~/Desktop/Python-2.6.1$
>

> Is there anyone out there that has figured out how to get this build to
> finish? I've kinda run out of tricks!
>
> Arana

This time for sure!
    -Bullwinkle J. Moose