[Edu-sig] New Python book by J. Zelle and D. Reed (woo hoo!)

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 01:14:09 CET 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 3:45 PM, jim leisy <jimleisy at fbeedle.com> wrote:
> Hi there, Kirby--Happy 2009. Obama says it all.
>
> FYI--we have published a book that transitions from a first course using
> Python to a data structures course using C++.
> The title is Data Structures and Algorithms using Python and C++. David Reed
> and John Zelle are the authors. Here is the
> book's web page:  www.fbeedle.com/2335.html
>
> Jim
>
> Jim Leisy
> Publisher
> Franklin, Beedle & Associates Incorporated
> William, James & Company
> www.fbeedle.com www.wmjasco.com
> 503-682-7668 voice
> 503-682-7638 fax
> 800-322-2665 Toll Free in USA
>
> 8536 SW St Helens Drive, Suite D
> Wilsonville, Oregon 97070 USA

Hi Jim --

Excellent, a promising approach to a language we'll be using for a
long time to come (fast system languages won't be re-invented on a
whim).

I know John Zelle as one of the best Python teachers in the business,
right up there with Bruce Eckel and Alex Martelli, but with a lot more
Tk, an under-valued library -- so yes, a good 2 part sequence, core
Python with Tk, then a CS2 dive into C++, the basis of wx and much
other Pythonic collateral.

Java and C# will seem easy in comparison, but won't always be the
right tool for the job.

I like the cover, reminds us that nature out-processes us all,
data-wise -- glad we get a niche.

We'll maybe see you at OS Bridge?  I've been in on some of the
meetings, don't know the publisher exhibiting angle yet, hoping to
give Portlanders something to chew on, in the absence of a PDX OSCON.
http://bridgepdx.org/

Also looking forward to the flying circus at Pycon again (no plane ticket yet):
http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2008/10/pythonic-math.html

"Obama" sounds a lot like "Ubuntu" in translation (community spirit, hope).

Kirby Urner
4dsolutions.net

cc: edu-sig