[Edu-sig] PyBat ???

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 23:13:54 CET 2009

Does it have to be either/or?

I'm somewhat weak in the PHP department but only by choice, know I
could learn it pronto from Safari, as the concepts are pretty much the

You need:  a place to stuff data (SQL), and ORM layer (to assemble
objects), a template language (to make it all pretty), plus
infrastructure like session monitoring, keeping track of users, who
does what (whether RESTful or not RESTful, you still need to do it).
I'm sure PHP works for this, as does Ruby, any web framework worth

But is your department smallish, no room in the inn for more than one language?

Our Reed College in Portland has an ad in the paper for web framework
developer, asking for PHP, Python and Ruby savvy.  That seems like a
good mix.  Why not push that?