[Edu-sig] a brief update from my corner

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 19:37:26 CEST 2009

I was happy to hear from Vern about his and Jeff's experiences at NECC
conference, as I briefly notate in my blog:

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/07/planning-charter.html (PSF was
officially invested here)

More recently, I briefly re-visited the PSF's decision to "dump
Gattegno" for the benefit of the math teachers on math-teach, as he's
something of a hero and I didn't want anyone thinking we had a problem
with AlgebraFirst or whatever they're calling it:

http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=6776229&tstart=0

In terms of outreach to <14, the XO shouldn't be discounted.  That's
been a first contact with a Python interactive shell (Pippy) for many
youngsters around the world, a milestone already achieved (not saying
we're done).

I've been eyeballing this one (below), think it makes a good case for
Python (its intent), could be used to extend awareness of our language
in other non-scientific liberal arts fields.  I'll be sharing the
link.

Kirby