[Edu-sig] Python flavoured Scratch

Jurgis Pralgauskis jurgis.pralgauskis at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 23:45:21 CEST 2009

probably most of You know Scratch

I thought it has quite some pythonic approach
(especially, because it is easy to learn),
so I tried to "localize" it to Python ;)...
You can see the results (and comparison screenshots)

well, parentheses seem to get in a way a bit..
value assignment "=" and "+=" looks ok
also clauses look nice -- other languages wouldn't manage this ;)

there are problems with placeholders order for lists, but it will be
fixed for Scratch 1.4 (comming in 2 weeks)

also there is problem with logical equality comparison
it is hardcoded somewhere, so I can't change "=" to "==" :/
(but Scratch is opensourced, so this is quite feasible :))

Also Scratch uses messages instead of functions.
this is more like throwing/catching exceptions, but still different
so I left this as is  "When message <blabla> received"

ps.: What's the use of all this?
well, students could get more used to python while Scratching
then it is possible to export Scratch scripts to xml with Chirp
so one can translate them to python

Scratch quite follows LOGO paradigm,
so xturtle could be mapped to it somehow, I guess..

by the way,  XO TurtleArt has python bindings

Jurgis Pralgauskis
Don't worry, be happy and make things better ;)