[Edu-sig] Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 10:29:25 CEST 2009

I have to write up some lessons on how to start programming in Python
in the Sugar version of Turtle Art, where there are two programmable
tiles. One accepts a Python expression, and the other reads in a
Python file.

The easiest Hello, World program in Turtle Art uses the Print tile.
Just type in the text you want the Turtle to display. We can introduce
more complex tile-based programming techniques, and then show how each
can be done in Python by using the programmable tiles, and by
examining the quite modular Turtle Art source code in Python. Then we
can show students how to create their own tiles, and move up gradually
to creating a new Sugar Activity.

I intend to teach Python as Computer Science, not simply as program
syntax and features. Making the CS topics accessible to students at
just the right level, without driving any of them away, will be one of
the hardest parts to get right. Ordering topics according to both
meaning and dependencies on other topics will also take a lot of work.

Also a lot of fun.

I have spent the last few week experimenting with the latest version
of Sugar on a Stick (Sugar set up for installation on a bootable USB
flash drive) and also writing a book for FLOSS Manuals on Open
Translation Tools. So I have lots more to tell you, but no way to say
when I can do it yet.

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 6:38 AM, csev<csev at umich.edu> wrote:
> Warren and Carter - congratulations on your book.  I just reviewed it in my
> blog and twittered about it.
>
> Here is the text from my blog post - (feel free to correct me )
>
> Chuck Severance
> www.dr-chuck.com
>
> I am an advocate for using Python as a first language and for using
> programming as a tool to explore abstract concepts and technology literacy
> (Informatics) starting in elementary and middle school. Here is a book
> written for kids using Python that looks like it can support making Python
> accessible to younger learners.
>
> Hello World! Computer Programming for Kids and Other Beginners
>
> The book is written by the father and son pair of Warren D. Sande and Carter
> Sande.
>
> Here is an interview with the author and his son on Canadian Television with
> the authors:
>
> http://watch.ctv.ca/news/clip186877
>
> Here is the web site for the book including several sample chapters:
>
> http://www.manning.com/sande/
>
> This is very cool and I will buy the book and then review it in more detail.
>
> On first glance looking at the sample chapters and table of contents, it
> looks well siuted for K-12 applications since has many short chapters, gets
> into graphics quickly using its own GUI (easygui), and is careful to have
> lots of additional explanation in areas that readers might have questions.
> Of course since Carter Sande is still in K12 it is very natural to have it
> structured properly for K12.
>
> Perhaps after they get done with Warren and Carter's book - the students
> will want to web programming on Google App Engine! And of course there is a
> book for that - Using Google App Engine.
>
> This all moves us further down the path of technology literacy based on
> foundations of open source technology and transforming K-20 education to
> include technology literacy at the right places.
>
> Congratulations to Warren and Carter!

And Children are my nation.