[Edu-sig] my Pycon nametag (ISEPP) -- isepp.org

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 21:12:46 CET 2009

FYI, here's something fun I posted to my local think tank.  Terry is
our president and I'm representing his ISEPP (Institute for Science,
Engineering and Public Policy) at Pycon this time (2009, Chicago).
Time to make that airplane reservation.

Re this myth that "kids hate syntax" and need training wheels on
training wheels to insulate them from "the evil lexical" (aka left
brain), that's not my experience with older kids.  They love eye
candy, sure (who doesn't), but having consistent syntax to play with
is really a big part of the fun, drag and drop GUI programming, like
with Mindstorms, considered very unconstructive at this age level.  I
think part of the problem is Piaget dropped out early, in terms of
tracking what growing minds need, had no clue about the age ranges I
work with.  This is just fine, as we wean them from the XO pretty
early (keyboard quite tiny, Fischer-Price look only cute for so long),
move to something more suitable.  But that experience with Pippy was
no waste of time (never mind about Squeak, we have E-toys galore in
the education arcade, new physics engines coming out of Japan and
places **).

That being said, I'm all for Sims 2 (3,4..) and TurtleArt, anything
avatar (2nd Life...), consider Valve's HalfLife2 probably one of the
greatest artworks of all time (judging aesthetically) though yes, it's
dark, gothic, kinda Lovecraft meets Laffoley meets... Les (CIO).  I
even think Alice is pretty cool (Arthur had lots of problems with
Alice, I think because he wanted to champion left brain sports in
older teens, right brain should be in the real out doors, using your
*real* avatar, i.e. your own body -- and I'm extremely sympathetic to
this, need to get to the gym myself, right after posting this, and
making my plane reservation).

Anyway, check math-thinking-l if you want to see more on this CTL
business.  I've got both threads going:  both the FOSS and the "new
kind of geometry" (pun on Wolfram's title) per the "Minister of FOSS"
post below (yes it's dense and slow going, I admit it -- maybe shelve
it for later then).  Actually, I just thought of a couple more things
to do before gym...  like finding my iPod (for listening to Britney, a
gnu math teacher for older kids, per my Kraftwerk post...).

>From FOSS capital,

Kirby

PS:  Dr. Chuck coming from Boston or somewhere, not for tutorials, so
I'll plan to meet up with him later (he's the Google App Engine guy at
U Mich, did tech review with him for O'Reilly, per recent archivals).
Feel free to jump in on math-thinking-l if you want to do CTL more.  I
feel I've said the same thing enough times on edu-sig that I should
mostly post elsewhere, where readers are still unfamiliar with "Coyote
Academy" (charter) and/or TECC in Matsu District (AK).

** from my most recent to math-thinking-l, re FOSS in Japan (atop a
proprietary physics engine, of interest to constructivists):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Thjgz9Zzxs&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA5PYEmreTI&feature=channel_page
http://www.phunland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=916