[Edu-sig] PyWhip ???

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Wed Mar 4 00:59:26 CET 2009

Athat Hameed has finished the prototype of our online Python practice system.  See http://py-bat.appspot.com  We need to change the name so as not to conflict with Nick Parlante's JavaBat.com, which was the inspiration for this site.  Athar and I like PyWhip, but we are open to suggestions.

We need teachers, and anyone else who is interested, to contribute problems.  Let's start with the categories Logic, Strings, Lists, and Recursion.  Don't copy Nick's problems.  He's planning his own Python site, with automated translations of his Java problems.

We could also use a few more help pages.  See my Strings example at http://py-bat.appspot.com/help  These are basically tutorials, starting with the simplest examples first, and focusing on just those features of Python we are testing in the exercises.  Try to resist including everything in Python.  Python.org already has that.

Let's put together some good problems for beginners, and inspire Athar to make the website as nice as JavaBat.

-- Dave

* David MacQuigg, PhD    email: macquigg at ece.arizona.edu   *  *
* Research Associate                phone: USA 520-721-4583   *  *  *
* ECE Department, University of Arizona                       *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* http://purl.net/macquigg        Tucson, Arizona 85710          *