[Edu-sig] python4edu by animation -- best choice?

Jurgis Pralgauskis jurgis.pralgauskis at gmail.com
Thu Mar 5 11:04:30 CET 2009

Hello,

You know, kids like effects,
and if they can program effects,
they like programming :)

the good overview of tools is
http://livingcode.org/2008/the-importance-of-visual-programming

there I found a new (for me) tool Nodebox -- similar to processing.org
- the output is much nicer than turtle, and can export SVG, PDF, PNG
- the great idea for experimentation to have code window side to canvas.

http://nodebox.net , it's primarily for Mac,
but there are crossplatform varinats (though missing some functionallity)
http://dev.nodebox.net/wiki/Qt
http://tinkerhouse.net/shoebot/ (more like a branch.., has deb package)
shoebot has more examples :)
some examples need additional libraries,
see http://nodebox.net/code/index.php/Library
You can add your own library
http://www.eriksmartt.com/blog/archives/747

ps.: foer me shoebot and qt variants needed
sys.path.append('/path/to/nodebox/libs')
in the module where ximport is defined
nodebox-qt/nodebox/graphics/__init__.py
or /usr/share/pyshared/shoebot/__init__.py  (on ubuntu)

ps.: does anybody know if jython works with processing.org?

--
Jurgis Pralgauskis
Don't worry, be happy and make things better ;)