[Edu-sig] The Crunchy Way

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 19:52:53 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 12:26 PM, David MacQuigg
<macquigg at ece.arizona.edu> wrote:

<< SNIP >>

>>So Croquant is like a delivery tool, where the lesson plans
>>accumulate.  PyWhip is similar but more static (making the content
>>Wiki based is likely to promote organic growth).
>
> Not quite sure what you mean here.  Could you be more specific?
>
> Anyone can contribute problems to PyWhip, including students.  I expect we will have a huge accumulation, and the final quality will be determined by how well we chose the best, and how well get these collections organized into a good learning sequence.

Given I'm just taking notes here, I shouldn't claim to speak for
Andre, so I won't, but here's my own understanding:

Croquant is, like MoinMoin, a wiki framework anyone might download and
host anywhere, while Crunchy is a client-side program that again runs
on any compatible platform.  Crunchy is especially happy "eating"
Croquant's wiki pages (if marked up the right way).

In this model, there's no control over control, i.e. as with Python
itself there's no saying what people will do with it.  Anyone can
run/host either/both products.  Is PyWhip the same way?  Is the source
code in svn.  It's a closed source Google Appengine with a specific
URL, is how I look at it today.  Wrong model?

> Currently PyWhip more like Citizendium than Wikipedia.  Teachers (editors) control the content.  We are talking about expanding this to allow anyone to be a teacher, and register a setup.  Students who select that setup, will then see whatever problems their teacher wants them to see.

Wikipedia is a specific (special case) implementation of the wiki
framework, so if PyWhip is like a *specific* wiki, then it's less like
Croquant?  Does PyWhip run the student code on the server or on the
client?  Sorry I'm unclear.

Andre was basically giving free publicity to PyWhip, spoke of it with
admiration, but wanted to explain how his own project with not quite
the same concept.  I'm still getting clear on the specific differences
myself, so any inaccuracies are mine.  Thanks in advance for
correcting any misconceptions I may had.

Kirby