[Edu-sig] PyCon poster session and Edu-sig pages

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Fri May 1 21:12:50 CEST 2009

Hi Kirby, Andre, everyone,

Sorry for the late reply - things have been busy here...

I was also thinking we need a short mention and a link on the edu-sig
home page to some info about the PyCon education/poster session.

I haven't pitched this to the PyCon organizers yet, so we don't need to
act immediately, but I'm thinking/hoping to have something more formed
by the middle of the summer. Then we can link from the the edu-sig page
to a wiki page on the PyCon site.

The general idea is to provide a space at PyCon for educators to show
off what they've been doing with Python, whether or not they can attend
PyCon. This not only would raise the profile of Python in education, but
would also give us all a target to aim for and a way of
recording/sharing our gains.

Right now what I'm thinking about suggesting/asking for is:

1. Display space in fairly public place. I'm thinking space for posters,
a few tables for demos, some standing-around-and-talking space, etc.

2. Offer poster spots to anyone with an educational project, whether
they can attend or not. Of course, if they can attend and stand around
their poster during a designated session time, so much the better. OTOH,
if they can't attend they might be able to recruit a stand-in from those
attending, and at the very least they will be able to get the word out
about what they are doing.

BTW, I would see a "poster space" being anything from a chunk of wall
space for displaying a couple of posters to some table space for demos,
etc. The details of that will depend on what the PyCon organizers will
be able (and willing) to offer.

Other ideas include graffiti posters for attendees to add projects,
notes and comments, ala PyOhio (see
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyOhio2008/PosterSession), encouraging
lightning talks, and submitting a "State of Python in Education" talk
for consideration in the regular program.

Cheers,
Vern