[Edu-sig] Summarizing some threads (KIrby again)...

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 24 02:51:29 CEST 2009

Yes, you're on the right track. All of schooling is based on medieval
metaphors (such as the lecture, originally for purposes of dictation
in the days before printing) and the history of thought, instead of
the logic of the subject matter or of the reasons for learning
anything. We are still teaching pre-calculator, pre-computer math as
though there was some special virtue in hand calculation with paper
and pencil, instead of recognizing that the days of the counting house
are over and are not coming back. (There is a virtue in understanding
how arithmetic works. It is better acquired by having students teach
computers how to do it, that is, by learning how to program accurately
and effectively.)

Also, geometry is not the only realm where we need to take a fresh
look. All of math has been restructured in the last century in terms
not just of objects, but of systems. Axiom systems, structures,
symmetries, relationships between seemingly different branches of
math, or math and an application area such as physics or crytography
or...we don't even know what, yet. Category theory attempted to
generalize everything by looking at systems of objects and mappings
between them. It has been superseded by the even more general topose
theory, which starts from your lumpengeometrie and turns into a Theory
of Nearly Everything in math.

I will not attempt to explain this all today, because I am supposed to
be writing a book. More later.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/