[Edu-sig] VPython with Ubuntu 9.04

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Sep 13 19:05:23 CEST 2009

<< snip >>

> You know, I'm having trouble reconstructing how I came to the view
> that Ruby has quasi-native access to OpenGL.  I think it was a few
> OSCONs back when I was intent on immersing myself in Ruby, went to a
> couple tutorials, the talk by Matz.  My recollection is sitting there
> in an interactive Ruby shell, following some tutorial, and getting
> some colorful shapely things happening on my screen pretty early.  But
> now when I go back, sifting through blogs and tutorials, I'm at a
> loss.  I see Yoshi has the opengl extension, and that people are
> building on that.  I watched this YouTube:

Sorry it got away from me:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16UrzabuzhU&feature=related#

This one is also impressive (Python, also Pyglet in some way (GUI?)):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSA01Gyd_Gg&feature=related

Here's the kind of stuff I do with VPython:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoMsxBZ4iCA (no sound)

This grows out of earlier collaborations with say Richard Hawkins back
in the days when only SGI workstations could play in this area:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWANBOvq8kw

Kenneth Snelson the artist was an early master of SGI:

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2008/07/more-curriculum-cartoons.html

Kirby

More background:
http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2009/03/multitasking.html