[Edu-sig] Renaming PyWhip...

David MacQuigg macquigg at ece.arizona.edu
Wed Feb 24 19:07:32 CET 2010

This is the first time I have heard anyone object to the name PyWhip,
and it comes as a complete surprise.  I've been told that the name
PyWhip has bad connotations, as in white males and nooses.  This seems a
bit of a stretch to me, but I would like to hear from anyone who might
be using this site in their classes.  I am especially interested in the
opinions of those who have a different cultural background or native
language.  We want this site to appeal to all.  If even one in ten would
be offended by PyWhip, we should change the name.

My preference for the name PyWhip is just looking for something short
and memorable.  I don't like PyPractice because it lacks those qualities.

What about the name PyBat?  Nick Paralante, the author of JavaBat wants
that for his own Python practice site, so I would prefer something
else.  When I first heard about this website, I thought of batting
practice, like in baseball.  I suppose bats could be used against people
also, but that seems like a stretch.  When I think of PyWhip, I think of
short, fast problems that the students can "whip through".  Maybe my
interpretation is a stretch.

Anyway, my question is - Does PyWhip have bad connotations?

-- Dave
Editor in Chief, PyWhip

* David MacQuigg, PhD    email: macquigg at ece.arizona.edu   *  *
* Research Associate                phone: USA 520-721-4583   *  *  *
* ECE Department, University of Arizona                       *  *  *
*                                 9320 East Mikelyn Lane       * * *
* http://purl.net/macquigg        Tucson, Arizona 85710          *