[Edu-sig] Django or Web2Py for PyWhip

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 23:34:55 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 12:17 PM, David MacQuigg
<macquigg at ece.arizona.edu> wrote:
> Since we are changing the name of the project from PyWhip to (PyKata,
> PyPractice, PyJet, ???), now might be a good time to reconsider some other
> basic choices.  App Engine seems to be the right choice for the server
> foundation.  Anyone who has tried to develop a web app with modpython will
> appreciate not having to worry about details like keeping track of user
> logins.

Word on the street is mod_wsgi is superior to mod_python.  Just
reporting what I hear.

> The one major choice I'm still not comfortable with is the framework Django
> vs. Web2Py.  We are currently using Django, because that was the default
> providcd by App Engine.  Web2Py is also supported by App Engine, but perhaps
> not yet as well integrated (I don't know).  The main issue seems to be
> versatility vs simplicity.  My initial impression is that Django is more
> versatile and Web2Py is simpler.  Django has the bigger community of users,
> more published books, etc., but Web2Py is still early in its growth.

App Engine is what's obscure in this picture.  Google didn't take the
world by storm with it, adding Java not helping that much.

Not saying it's not a good product, have written an appengine myself
(osgarden.appspot.com), plus was a tech reviewer for the book by Dr.

> We need a framework which will provide all the features needed for a website
> like JavaBat.com, but will be simple enough that we have no trouble finding
> web programmers to take over when our current developers move on.  I'll let
> the folks who are ready to step up and do the work make the decision, but if
> anyone has any experience, comments or suggestions, now is the time.
> -- Dave

At issue is whether try-over-the-web is a way you need to go, granted
other language communities are trying it.

You've got Python out of the box if you're a Linux user, and so the
question is, if you're not a Linux user, do you even matter?  When it
comes to server side architectures, probably not.

That being said, Google Appengine is still a contender, so best wishes
with PyKata or whatever you elect.