[Edu-sig] Django or Web2Py for PyWhip

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Fri Feb 26 05:04:22 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 6:00 PM, DiPierro, Massimo
<MDiPierro at cs.depaul.edu> wrote:
> Mind that my opinion is biased since I am the author of web2py.

<< snip >>

> I will be happy to answer more specific questions on the topic but I am in India for a physics conference and have limited connectivity. I have to be concise and canno check emails often until Monday. You may want to consider asking for some user experience on the web2py list http://groups.google.com/group/web2py.
>
> Massimo

Hi Massimo --

Thank you for jumping in here.

I've seen a web2py demo (by yourself) at a Pycon, impressive.

Note that I'm not involved in this particular GAE project, am only
commenting from a distance.

I don't think the Python community is at a disadvantage just because
there's nothing quite as dominant as Rails has been in Ruby world.

RUBY
=====

I did a quick scan for Ruby web frameworks that are *not* Rails and
came up with Sinatra, Ramaze and Merb.

I'm sure I missed some.

SCHEME
=======

In Scheme world we have Flapjax (client side), Lylux (pipeline,
controller), Snooze (DBI)

http://www.flapjax-lang.org/

http://blog.plt-scheme.org/2007/08/experience-report-scheme-in-commercial.html

I mentioned Scheme in particular because I've been hanging out with
functional programmers on math-thinking-l recently.

Some of those folks have been reminding me of their low opinion of
anything object oriented, whereas I've been exulting about Python as a
math-learning tool, in part because of its strong concept of types
(dynamic, but not weak):

http://controlroom.blogspot.com/2010/02/new-essays.html
(see essay (b) linked from this blog post if keen to read more)

Scheme and LISP are famously typeless.

Hey, I didn't realize GIMP came with a dialect of Scheme for
scripting, called Script-Fu.

http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-concepts-script-fu.html

That's like using LISP to control emacs...

...or like using Ruby to control Google Sketchup.

http://sketchup.google.com/download/rubyscripts.html

AND SO ON...

PHP and J2EE still dominate don't they?  I don't have any numbers handy.

Then there's .NET, which might include Python again....

On and on it goes, eh?