[Edu-sig] Remixed Book: Python For Informatics - Exploring Information

csev csev at umich.edu
Sat Jan 9 17:43:40 CET 2010

Hello all,

I just wanted to let you know about a "new" book called "Python for Informatics - Exploring Information" and get it added to the edu-sig page.

The book is a remixed version of the excellent "Think Python - How to Think like a Computer Scientist" book written by Allen B. Downey, Jeff Elkner, and others.

"Python for Informatics" has a goal of making programming in Python accessible to all students - not just those intent on pursuing a career in Computer Science.  As such the book focuses less on algorithms and numerical examples and much more on looking at data and information.

This is part of my overall interest in the notion of "Informatics" (informatics.umich.edu) - which is a re-visioning of how technology fits folks who are pursuing non-technology careers.

I am using the book in my "Technology Literacy" course at the University of Michigan (SI502) and expect to expand the book from 10 to 18 chapters over the next few months.

Allen has graciously given me permission to change the copyright license in the book from the GFDL license to Creative Commons Attribution - Share Alike which is a more modern version of copyleft for written works (Wikipedia switched from GFDL to CC-BY-SA a while back).

Here are a few pages:

Python for Informatics:
http://www.py4inf.com/

Blog Post - First Printing:
http://www.dr-chuck.com/csev-blog/000690.html

Think Python:
http://www.greenteapress.com/thinkpython/

I welcome any and all comments on the book or the approach.

Dr. Charles Severance
University of Michigan
School of Information
www.dr-chuck.com