[Edu-sig] Edu-sig page advice to teachers

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Mon Jan 11 14:42:13 CET 2010

kirby urner wrote:
> I'm wondering if this should be fine tuned to more explicitly
> encourage 2.6 and above if doing Python 2 (because of
> 3rd party dependencies), 3.x in all other cases.

+1

> An appropriate topic for discussion though.  What 3rd
> party libraries would break?  I'm big into VPython, so right
> off the bat I'm facing such issues.  Anyone else using that
> or am I the only one?

Not using VPython much, other than for an occasional gee-whiz demo ;).
Personally, the fact that PyGame's support is still incomplete might be
a problem for my more advanced classes - I haven't checked to see if
there's a big problem there. Thanks to the turtle library my low level
kids would be fine.

Of course the main thing that would break would be existing lessons and
instructional handouts...

Cheers,
Vern

--