[Edu-sig] Edu-sig page advice to teachers

Ruzycki, Nancy J njruzycki at seattleschools.org
Wed Jan 13 15:08:03 CET 2010

Kirby, and Maria-

We use scratch and also python for physics programming, and the choice is based not on youth, but on ease of computing.  In scratch, it is easier for the students to "see" the parts of the program they can use to create a program, whereas in python, a student has to have some programming background, or a good teaching template. In mu class, we only have about a week every 10 weeks or so to program.

Scratch can be used to create some fairly complicated programs including kinematics (1D and 2D) and vector analysis.  Examples of what we do are programming an object to accelerate and stamping as it goes to create a type of motion map, having objects fall with the correct acceleration of gravity. Throwing objects (up or down) and stamping realistic falls.  Racing cars with different accelerations, etc.  You can also do nice circular motion mapping.

I tried to step up to python programming for 1-d motion and it was not as successful a visualization tool as in Scratch. Maybe using Turtle would have been better. The project becomes more about the programming than about the physics concepts. In scratch, owing to ease of use, the physics concepts are more easily visualized.

If my class were more advanced computationally, or we had a course in mathematical programming, then I think the python would be really nice. My students are low income, urban public school students, and any exposure to programming including scratch is an epiphany for them.

Nancy Ruzycki