[Edu-sig] open source admin in academia? (editorial)

Edward Cherlin echerlin at gmail.com
Wed Jul 21 04:54:30 CEST 2010

On Tue, Jul 20, 2010 at 04:34, kirby urner <kirby.urner at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like to see universities taking the lead in some way...
> (they call it "non-commercial"), eating their own dog food.
>
> Same thing with hospitals.  They seem to not want to
> develop much inhouse, even for research -- or maybe
> I've not been inside the right hospitals?   You'd think
> the open source ethic and health care would be more
> hand in glove.

MUMPS (Massachusetts General Hospital Utility Multi-Programming
System), now sometimes just M, is the basis for the VA and DoD
hospital systems. it was taken to Free Software via the Freedom of
Information Act, and is now available as openVistA. This is a full
medical system suite, with more than 200 modules for imaging, medical
records, billing, pharmacy, and so on. M is unusual among programming
languages for including its own database engine. Its more recent
competitor is OpenMRS (Open Medical Records System) being developed
for Partners in Health in Haiti and other such organizations. Harvard
has a hand in its development.

http://www.earthtreasury.org/