[Edu-sig] more ruminations... (Python and physics etc.)

Vern Ceder vceder at canterburyschool.org
Thu Jul 22 03:20:04 CEST 2010

Hi Kirby,

kirby urner wrote:

> Then there's this software called Logger Pro by Vernier that a
> lot of physics teachers are using.  Venier is to physics teaching
> sort of what TI is to math teaching?

Yeah, and chemistry as well. Basically, they sell sensors... and the
hardware to interface with them... and the software to read (and plot)
the data. There may be other companies out there, but Vernier is just
about all you hear of.

They do publish the tech info on all of their devices, but I don't know
of any Python libraries for reading them. Should be do-able, though.

Their software used to be pretty proprietary and Windows-centric, but
they have shown signs of opening things up a bit. They have a version of
Logger Pro that runs on Linux available for free as part of a public beta:
http://www.vernier.com/soft/lpl/

And even a lite version that runs on the OLPC XO.

Cheers,
Vern

> Kirby

This time for sure!