[Edu-sig] AP Computer Science

Zac Miller zmiller at gsc.edu
Sun Nov 7 02:00:40 CET 2010

That is another angle I was looking at it from: college GPA.

The AP credit doesn't add to the student's GPA, so it may be better in the long run for the students to skip the AP credit and take the computer science course in college.  Even if they already know the material taking the course in the first semester will give them an easier time adjusting and also put some buffer on their GPA if they make the A they should be able to.  Maybe looking at it that way doesn't make any sense to anyone but me.

I think the dual credit method is a great way to go, we're trying to set that up for GIS classes here.  Maybe I should look at that as another option for my county as well instead of pushing AP, since currently we are not teaching the AP Computer Science course anywhere.

-J. Zachary Miller