[Edu-sig] noticing a citation to MFTDA...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 00:17:54 CET 2010

I visit this blog from time to time, often because of a link from
math-teach (as was the case time, where Benezet is again being
discussed).

Kirby

>From the comments section:
http://rationalmathed.blogspot.com/2009/04/learning-math-by-thinking-hassler.html?showComment=1241886900000#c2653646878615873077

PS:  I just overheard my daughter talking about a debate in which a
team took the position that ending corporate personhood would amount
to a violation of human rights, because it would be a form of genocide
under current law.  Pretty funny.

===
MPG writes:

Teachers are key, but for them to be effective, they need to be free
to teach real mathematics from a broad range of perspectives. Our
attempts here to limit K-12 mathematics to the same boring nonsense
we've been trying, mostly unsuccessfully, to shove down kids' throats
for over a century is just utterly inadequate for the needs of a 21st
century democracy. There is SO much wrong with how restricted and
narrow our vision is that it would take years of blogging by me and
many others to touch on it all.

For a look at just a few of the possibilities, look at the Computer
Science Unplugged Web Site, the This Is MegaMathematics! site, and
google a book called DIGITAL MATHEMATICS FOR THE DIGITAL AGE and
PROGRAMMING IN PYTHON. These aren't all that's out there, but they
begin to touch on alternatives few teachers in regular K-12 are
looking at or exploring. Some would, if they could, but almost no one
is in a position to do so.

etc.