[Edu-sig] 'discovery learning' with Python...

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 04:08:21 CEST 2010

That's cool.

I was hoping my bold assertion of being almost alone on the front
lines would inspire protests from my comrades.

Kirby

On Sat, Oct 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Calcpage <calcpage at aol.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> "animal argument" i.e. raises an exception).
>>
>> Remember "everything is a python in Python" meaning a creaturely
>> object (has behavior and internal state, a self / dictionary), potentially
>> with lotsa __ribs__ (special names) and therefore a spine -- like a
>> snake does.
>>
>> We use a lot of biological metaphors on purpose, given mega-trends in
>> physics teaching these days (math teachers are also welcome to use
>> this free technology, though we understand they're still mostly addicted
>> to calculators).
>>
>> The "decorator syntax" (@) is about taking a function definition and
>> sending it through a wringer of sorts, spitting out a new function of the
>> same name.**    In this example, the input function is modified such
>> that its input argument will get bumped up by 2, before a function's
>> machinery is allowed to do its work.
>>
>> Kirby
>>
>> ** I can't help but think of 'Invasion' the TV science fiction soap opera,
>> wherein people were eaten by creatures in the Florida swamp, then
>> returned, almost themselves (but only almost):
>>
>> http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460651/
>>
>> - -- if these were beginners, I'd do more on the history of the decorator
>> feature, starting with the idea of properties in classes.
>>

>>> 1.  Discovery learning is a difficult teaching method because it must
>>> be continually adapted to students' questions and comments and what
>>> progress they have made thus far.  We cannot plan extensively for
>>> discovery learning just as we cannot plan extensively in advance for
>>> a discussion; we will not know how the discussion will go or where it
>>> will lead until we actually do it.
>>>
>>> 2.  As I had mentioned earlier, discovery learning is not appropriate
>>> for all situations.  One example they give here is trying to get
>>> students to discover a definition.
>>>
>>> 3.  The idea of discovery learning is that it helps students find their
>>> own meaning in the mathematical concepts and their own connections of
>>> that concept with their previous knowledge and experiences.  Previous
>>> experiences happen to be one reason why our thinking about a concept
>>> makes perfect sense to ourselves and other students but makes no sense
>>> to someone else; that baffled student might not have had those
>>> experiences
>>> to make that explanation meaningful to him or her.
>>>
>>> 4.  Some ideas for prompting students to think more deeply (examples
>>> taken
>>> straight from this book):
>>>
>>> "Give me another example."
>>> "Do you believe that, Bill?"
>>> "How do you know that?"
>>> "Can anyone find a case for which John's rule does not work?"
>>> "That seems to work.  Will it always?"
>>> "Have we forgotten any cases?"
>>>
>>> 5.  The book points out some cautions to discovery learning (as quoted
>>> from
>>> the book):
>>>
>>> a.  Be sure that the correct generalizations are the end result.
>>> b.  Do not expect everybody to discover every generalization.
>>> c.  Do not plan to discover all the ideas of your course.  Discovery of
>>> some ideas is too inefficient.  Sometimes students do not need an
>>> intuitive,
>>> emprical, discovery approach to understand an idea.
>>> d.  Expect discoveries to take time.
>>> e.  Do not expect the generalization to be verbalized as soon as it is
>>> discovered.
>>> f.  Avoid overstructuring experiences.
>>> g.  Avoid jumping to conclusions on the basis of too few samples.
> [...]
>>>
>>> c.  Why is 1.999....=2?
>>>
>>> d.  What is the maximum number of pieces of pie if a round pie is
>>> divided by seven cuts?
>>>
>>> e.  How are the slope and y-intercept of a line related to the equation
>>> of a line?
>>>
>>> f.  How is the perimeter of a right triangle related to its area?
>>>
>>> g.  What is the number of subsets of a finite set?  (The book does not
>>> say "finite" but should.)
>>>
>>> h.  How can the formulas for areas of geometric figures be related to the
>>> area of a rectangle?
>>>
>>> i.  What equality properties apply to inequalities?  For those that do
>>> not, can you find conditions for which these equality properties apply
>>> to inequalities?
>>>
>>> Here is one I thought of:
>>>
>>> j.  Must we use the LCD to add or subtract fractions?  Or will any
>>> common denominator work?  If any common denominator works, can you
>>> see why?  I like this one because I have seen many students who
>>> believe that adding or subtracting fractions using a common denominator
>>> besides the least common one is wrong simply because "that's not how
>>> I was taught to do that."
>>>

>>> A comment to Mike Dougherty: In some sense, asking students to discover
>>> the reasoning and logic behind mathematics is discovery teaching.
>>> Sometimes this term refers to getting students to discover ideas and
>>> the underlying logic for themselves such as discovering and proving
>>> a theorem, something similar to what a mathematician has to do when
>>> developing a theory.  Other times it can refer to having students fill
>>> in the details of the reasoning after the teacher has presented the big
>>> ideas and some outline of the reasoning with the details omitted so that
>>> students can try to fill those in for themselves.  In these cases, the
>>> student is not asked to discover theorems but is asked instead to
>>> discover the proofs of them.  It is clear from the examples given above
>>> from the book I had cited that this book uses the word "discovery
>>> learning" or "discovery teaching" in both of these senses.
>>>
>>> I don't know if we explain too much, but I often question if we,
>>> including
>>> myself, explain too much too quickly before giving the students chances
>>> to think about and see these ideas for themselves.  That is, if we
>>> explain
>>> too much up front, then we don't give students many chances to think for
>>> themselves.  We also give students the impression that it is okay to
>>> take our word for it, especially permanently rather than just temporarily
>>> for convenience, even if they haven't the foggiest idea of why that is
>>> true.
>>> I don't see a problem with a student who wants to take our word for it
>>> for
>>> the time being, especially if they need to use that result immediately,
>>> if the student is willing to try later to see why that is true.  Of
>>> course,
>>> if the proof of the result is beyond the scope of the course, then that