[Edu-sig] Edu-sig Digest, Vol 86, Issue 3

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 03:35:56 CEST 2010

On Sat, Sep 4, 2010 at 7:09 AM, Fahreddın Basegmez <mangabasi at gmail.com>
 wrote:

> Could it be Mekanimo?  It let's you create circles and polygons and
> join them together with connectors while automatically generating
> Python code.  Created objects behave like agents.  Here are some
> videos.

Hey this Mekanimo thing is fantastic.  Amazingly cool use of the wx API for
GUI.  Really, Python?

Thanks Fahri!

I relayed my pleasure to mathfuture, a Google group.

http://groups.google.com/group/mathfuture/browse_thread/thread/d006e2daf0e5110d#

Maria D. also expressed appreciation, replying on naturalmath:

http://groups.google.com/group/naturalmath/browse_thread/thread/17585b0643e3aabc#

mathfuture is where I do some of my Martian Math writing, a curriculum that
uses Python quite a bit (including VPython [1]), but is far enough afield to
sometimes make more sense in another namespace.

Speaking of Martian Math, I feel obliged to cluck about the Buckyball on
Google yesterday.

I yakked with Josh Cronmeyer about it by email.  He and I met up at an OS
Bridge before he took off for Australia (that's the Josh mentioned in this
blog post -- he's Python programmer of note, works with Thoughtworks.com):

http://worldgame.blogspot.com/2010/09/buckyball-day.html

In a couple hours I'm off the PDX (our airport) to fetch Steve Holden, PSF
chairman.  Holden Web is this the organizer of this year's DjangoCon in
Portland.

http://djangocon.us/

Kirby

<historica type = "biographica" >

[1]

if you dig back in edu-sig you will find Arthur Siegel and I doing a lot of
the talking.  He was some high powered guy in the financial district, NYC,
who wisely devoted much of his remaining time to raising his son and doing
some esoteric Python programming to explore projective geometry.  Pygeo is
the name of his free / open source project, which makes heavy use of
VPython.  Can't think of anything quite like it either before or since.
 Check it out.

http://pygeo.sourceforge.net/

Arthur was a passionate and colorful character and our debates on this list
were free ranging (much to the dismay of some).  We met twice in New York,
also talked on the phone.  This old blog post chronicles our 2nd and last
meeting:

http://mybizmo.blogspot.com/2005/05/tree-house.html
(paragraphs 2,3)

[2]

http://djangocon.us/

Holden Web provided me with an exceptional opportunity in April, to lead a
3-day workshop for the Space Telescope Science Institute (Johns Hopkins
campus, Baltimore).  I'd expressed admiration for Hubble and the astronomer
groups using Python, but never dreamed I'd be able to do a Python training
with them.

I also got to look over Steve's shoulder as he did some curriculum writing
for O'Reilly School of Technology.  This school offers for-credit distance
education courses using a customized student version of Eclipse called
Ellipse.

</historcia>

Physcial proof of the pythagorean theorem